August 27, 2020
Over one hundred and twenty three thousand (123,514) new units of motorcycles, scooters and OHVs plus parts and accessories were sold during 2020. When combined with part and accessories the result was an estimated retail value of one billion, four hundred and eighty three million dollars ($ 1,483,099,000 ). Motorcycles and scooters accounted for 54.02% of total new units sold, while OHVs made up the remaining 45.98%. By dollar value, new motorcycle sales accounted for 50.49% of the total retail value of sales and new OHV sales accounted for 49.51% of the total retail value of sales. In 2020, 75.70% of new motorcycle and scooter retail sales occurred in the spring and summer from April to September inclusive, and 24.30% in the fall and winter combined. New retail sales for OHVs in 2020 were 66.73% in the spring and summer from April to September inclusive, and 33.27% in the fall and winter combined.
MMIC Member Companies:
July 18, 2016
Even before you have purchased a motorcycle, the best way you can learn about motorcycling is from the experts. Whether you are new to motorcycling or returning to an old passion, you will benefit from a motorcycle Rider Training course. And, yes, the motorcycle is supplied for the basic learner’s course. As well, as an added bonus, you may qualify for savings on your motorcycle insurance!
MMIC supports motorcycle rider training programs across Canada. The MMIC believes that rider training is one of the best ways, if not the best way, to learn how to ride a motorcycle.
All recognized rider training programs have certain characteristics in common:
To get started you need to understand the following:
General Guidelines for Rider Training Courses
For those who are inexperienced, or for those with some experience but require basic licensing, or for those of you who are returning to the sport after an extended absence, we recommend:
Introductory Riding Basics Programs
These basic training programs are a comprehensive 18-hour experience to give you necessary motorcycle handling skills. They are conducted away from traffic on motorcycles that the course provides. They are geared toward personal coaching and a relaxed approach to put you at ease while also challenging you.
The typical course is scheduled on a weekend or two week days. The weekend starts Thursday or Friday evening with a three-hour classroom discussion of risk factors and basic riding strategies.During the course you will ride a series of exercises that builds one skill after another until you have a sense of control and accomplishment.
The program concludes on the afternoon of the second day with an on-site riding exercise to meet provincial ministry standards. If you are successful, the riding school is authorized by the ministry to issue you a certificate for your next level of motorcycle licence (in applicable provinces).
Advanced Training: Riding Strategies Programs
For those motorcyclists who presently have your probationary licence and need to obtain your full motorcycle licence, or who want a higher comfort level in traffic, we recommend Advanced Training.
This higher level training program qualifies you to obtain your full motorcycle licence in many provinces. Advanced training assumes that you have basic motorcycle handling skills in traffic. It fine-tunes your traffic observation and management practices on your own motorcycle in a real traffic environment.
The training differs from province to province and usually involves a minimum of nine to fifteen hours.
The ratio riders to each instructor is small and ranges around three or four to keep your learning intimate and relaxed. Typically, training will take place on Friday evening and either a Saturday or Sunday.
This course is enjoyable for the camaraderie of group riding, and especially for the development of confidence in your skills.
Questions to Ask Before You Register
We know from our students what contributes to an enjoyable and effective learning experience. Ask about: